We all know you can’t believe everything you read online, unless, of course, you know it comes from a reliable source. Here’s the list of my most commonly used sources, although there may be others on occasion.
- Oxford English Dictionary Online (2013) Oxford University Press http://www.oed.com/
- Nigel Rees (2002) Cassell’s Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins [3rd ed.]
- Eric Partridge (1966) Origins: An Etymological Dictionary of Modern English [4th ed.]
- Eric Partridge (1984) A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English [8th ed.]
- Eric Partridge (1985) A Dictionary of Catch Phrases [2nd ed.]
- Adrian Room (1995) Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable [15th ed.]
- Expressions and Sayings
- Online Etymology Dictionary
All the images I use come from Google images. If you have any doubts or questions about where I’ve sourced my information, feel free to leave a comment.